March 30, 2011

Keeping My Family Happy

I was asked to write about how I keep my family happy. Well, that took some thought. I suppose I had never really thought about it in those terms before, but it really is important.

An Attitude of Gratitude
I try to focus on the blessings we have. I would say with all the bad things in the news, my natural tendency is to focus on negative things. But I make a conscious effort to focus on the positive especially with my children. I encourage them to comment about things they like such as going swimming. My children say their prayers before bed and before meals, and they thank God.

Connect with Shared Interests
It is a good idea to connect with shared interests. Usually I ask my kids about school, and I express and interest in their lives. It is important for children, and everyone else for that matter, to feel that you really care about what is going on in their lives. Since I have teens I have to ask more questions to get more than "nothing" for an answer. My kids love music, so I talk to them about songs they like. My son really likes movies, so we talk about them. My daughter is really concerned about her friends, so we talk about that a lot. The point is to talk about things they like.

Do Activities Together
My kids like to go to the park, and they like to feed the ducks. They really love to swim and skate, and it is fun to do those things together. Just by spending time together, that will make everyone feel happier.

Eating Supper Together
It is important to eat supper together. I had heard about a campaign to encourage parents to eat meals with their children because it decreases the chances that they will become involved with alcohol or drugs. It is during meals that we can really "connect" with our children. They want our attention, and during meals they can get that attention. It is important to turn the television off during that time otherwise people will be focusing on that instead of focusing on each other. It is a good idea to not answer the phone during that time or at least tell any callers that you will call them back after supper. That makes everyone in the family feel important.

Those are just some ideas about how I keep my family happy. I am sure there are many other things that I did not think about. What types of things do you do? I would love to hear your ideas.

About The Sponsor Farm Rich: "Farm Rich® products have been setting the standard for delicious, easy-to-prepare food the whole family loves. Farm Rich® foods taste like nothing else because they're made like nothing else – with 100% real ingredients like real cheese, high-quality meats, and fresh vegetables. Our snacks, appetizers, and breakfast foods are quick-frozen and carefully packaged so busy families can prepare great-tasting food within minutes. Farm Rich® is a Rich's Consumer Brand, which brings to market some of the food industry's leading retail brands including SeaPak® Shrimp Co., Casa Di Bertacchi®, and more. From early-morning breakfasts to midnight snacks, we're proud to say Farm Rich® products have become synonymous with high quality and great taste."
For more info: www.farmrich.com
Follow Farm Rich on Twitter @farmrichsnacks
Farm Rich on Facebook

I wrote this blog post while participating in the SocialMoms and Farm Rich blogging program, for a gift card worth $25. For more information on how you can participate, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Search
Venom
Business 2 Blogger
One2One Badges