February 8, 2012

Cooking with Kids and Uncle Ben


Like most mothers, I am always looking for ways to get my kids to eat healthier. They would go to McD's every day if I let them. I know it is important for the family to eat meals together. Luckily, none of us have any food allergies. My kids are just picky eaters. I was asked to share my tips for cooking healthy meals with kids.

Well, that was easier said than done. My kids won't eat casseroles, but that can be a great way to get some veggies in their diets. The 2 veggies I can get them to eat are green beans and corn. I found out recently that studies show that when you begin preparing your meal with rice, you end up with a meal that's better for you. That is great because we love rice.

Letting the children help with meal preparation makes it more likely they will eat the meal. They can measure items, stir the bowl, toss the salad, etc. Some families have a "One Spoon Rule" where they have to at least try one spoonful of everything that is served. I wish I would have done that when my kids were younger. Do you have any tips about how to get kids to eat healthier? I need more ideas.

I wanted to tell you about a contest by Uncle Ben. "We all have busy schedules, and families are constantly challenged to find enough quality time to spend together. Uncle Ben’s is encouraging families to get in the kitchen to cook and eat together to connect, one meal at a time. As a strong supporter of healthy eating and family togetherness, Uncle Ben’s is also helping parents establish healthy beginnings in their children’s lives."

Uncle Ben’s has launched an exciting national contest called Ben’s Beginners! By entering the contest, you could win $20,000, along with a $50,000 grant towards a cafeteria makeover for your child’s school!!! Also, you will have a chance to appear on The Rachael Ray show! Do you have children ages 5-12? To enter you need to submit a 2-3 minute video of you cooking a rice-based dish with your children. For more info on the contest, please check out Ben’s Beginners on Facebook.


I wrote this blog post while participating in the SocialMoms and Uncle Ben’s blogging program, for 6,000 My SocialMoms Rewards Points. For more information on how you can participate, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Search
Venom
Business 2 Blogger
One2One Badges