July 1, 2010

Summer Reading

Do you have a hard time getting your children to read during the summer? I know I do. We are compiling a list of ways we get our children to read during the summer, so they don't lose some skills while on summer break. Do you have tips that you used to teach your children to read? If you have tips to share or would like to see what others are doing check out the TwitterMoms discussion.

I try to make reading a game in the summer. There are many programs to get kids to read.

Join reading programs
1. Local Library- At our local library the children get tickets to enter contests for reading a certain amount. Last year my daughter won $50!
I think most local libraries have summer reading programs.
2. Barnes and Noble -read 8 books get one free.
3. Borders -read 10 books and get one free.
4. Half Price Books has started their summer reading program.

HarperCollins Children’s Books wants to make sure you are aware of the number one beginner reader series in the country. I Can Read! is the open door to a child’s adventure with the most beloved characters in the history of children’s literature. It a proven series for encouraging young readers from early reading together to advanced reading alone. The series debuted in 1957 with the introduction of a familiar favorite, Little Bear. It was one of the first ever easy-to-read books that children could read independently, and has been in print ever since. Now with more than 6 million I Can Read! books sold, including 200 titles, I Can Read! books is the best series to take children step by step into the wonderful world of reading on their own.

I wrote this blog post while participating in the TwitterMoms blogging program to be eligible to get an "I Can Read!" book. For more information on how you can participate, click here.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the list of summer reading programs. Happy Fourth of July! I hope your family has a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Search
Venom
Business 2 Blogger
One2One Badges